Sunday, March 30, 2014

An Opinion on April

April brings to mind all sorts of things. Easter, sometimes a really late spring break, showers to bring May flowers...

And Autism Awareness Month.

The second of April is World Autism Awareness Day, and there's a big push to LIGHT IT UP BLUE! and stuff. Will I wear blue? Nope. For starters, I'm not sure I own anything blue that I can wear to work and not break dress code because *gasp* did you see she's wearing a T-SHIRT?!?!?

Yeah, I work there. I'm fighting every fiber of my being to not go on a diatribe about how productive I would be in yoga pants and a t-shirt, but they tell me I'm not the boss and I don't get to make those decisions, so no t-shirts for me. It's so sad.

Anyway, Autism Awareness. I really struggle with this. I guess it's because when I hear the word "awareness", I feel like it's a synonym of "LOOK OUT! AUTISM ON THE LOOSE!" like you'll see biker awareness when it starts to get nicer out, because motorcycles and bicycles are ON THE LOOSE on the roads.

I guess I also get a little miffed because when you Google (it blows my mind that Google is a verb) "Autism Awareness", do you know what comes up first? Would it be a link to NAMI or Mayo Clinic or Vanderbilt or Children's Mercy? Nope. Autism Speaks. And do you know just how you can help "Light It Up Blue"? Donate. To Autism Speaks. Reason number two I won't wear blue. Not with a fox or in a box, either.

*Disclaimer: I am very aware (pun not intended) of the importance of research. However, as the mother of a child who is on the severe end of the spectrum, I know how hard life is NOW. For those who have gone before us, and who will come after us, research is necessary, but so is support.*

Donate. Not to a "scholarship" so a kiddo can go to a sensory-friendly camp in the summer, or so a family doesn't have to foot a huge medical bill, or can get a therapy dog, or respite care, or to make their home more sensory-friendly. Not to give families/adults assistance in therapies that are not covered by insurance companies. Not to offer to come over so that a frazzled parent can have some adult interaction. And maybe some wine with a friendly face. Or a nap. Oh....naps and wine. Mmmm.

Donate to Autism Speaks. Light up a building blue. Give money to an entity where you have no idea if it's going to help a child, adult, or a family who lives with Autism and the challenges it brings.

It bugs me.

Obvs.

Their website boasts 28,602 actions have been taken to shine a light on Autism! Don't get me wrong, that's fantastic. But let me offer a different perspective.

Autism isn't a new thing. It's not. And I can't help but feel like Autism Speaks (and there's more like them, they're just the big dog on the porch) is in the light while Autism and those who live with it and their loved ones are shadowed. Personally, I don't want a spotlight on my child. "LOOK! THERE'S AUTISM!" To think that in this day and age he will still be referred to as the autistic kid, rather than Quinn, really lights a fire under my ass. He is Quinn first. He happens to be Autistic. Just like he happens to have blue eyes and sandy hair. Just like he happens to have a birthmark on his leg in the shape of Australia. It is part of him, but it certainly does not define him.
In April, I challenge those who are unfamiliar with Autism to learn. If you don't know what a trusted resource is, ask. Autism isn't contagious. Well, I'm pretty sure it's not.

Do take advantage of events like the Candlelight Vigil for Autistic Children who Lost their Lives After Wandering. Ask questions. Spend some time with a family and watch the absolute joy radiate from their child(ren) just like it does from yours.

Don't just become aware, find a place of acceptance. Because really, that's all these kids and adults and families want. At least me and mine do.



No comments:

Post a Comment